Glycerol Mono Stearate
Glycerol monostearate is commonly known as GMS, It is a white, odorless, and sweet-tasting flaky powder that is hygroscopic. It is a glycerol ester of stearic acid. It contains both water and oil soluble groups in one molecule which enables it to be a very effective emulsifier. GMS is of high nutritive value, non toxic and therefore very suitable for use in food formulations. It belongs to the class of non-ionic emulsifiers.
CAS No : 123-94-4
Formula : C21H42O4
Synonym : GMS
- Widely used in baking cakes and other baked products
- It is used in production of high quality biscuits as an emulsifier as it helps in reducing the consumption of egg yolks or fat used in making biscuits.
- NSE Grade Acts as an O/W emulsifier, opacifier, emollient & bodying agent for a variety of cosmetic formulations for skincare & hair care.
- It is a Primary base for creams & lotions. (NSE Garde)
- Other used include sun care, antiperspirants, facial color cosmetics, depilatories, eye care, facial cleansers, lip care, liquid hand soaps, oral care, shaving products, shampoos,styling aids etc.(NSE Grade)
- It is used as softening agent in chewing gums
- GMS is used in confectionery to ensure smooth dispersion of flavour oils, to improve texture and showing quality.
GMS – SE
Appearance :White waxy flakes
AV (mg/KOH/gm) : 5 Max.
Saponification Value :140 – 165
Monoglycerides (%) : 40 Min.
Iodine Value: 3 Max.
GMS – NSE
Appearance :White Powder/ Flakes
Acid Value :3.0 Max.
Saponification Value :155 – 170
Iodine Value :3.0 Max.
Monoglyceride(%) :40 Min